Thursday, November 18, 2010

Part 4 Super Summarizer

Symphony
When I really start thinking about left brain vs. right brain, I start to think about time. For instance, as teachers many times I hear or say, "We need more time, there's just not enough time." I feel like I don't have enough time to be more right brain. Right brain people may be more fun, more creative, and more artsy. It takes time to do that. Left brain people are on a mission to finish a task quickly and check it off a list. SO......to be more right brain here are some things us left brainers can do:
1. Listen to great symphonies
2. Draw
3. Keep a metaphor log
4. Look for solutions in search of problems
5. Create an inspiration board
6. Do some real brainstorming and write ideas down
Empathy
So can you be left brain and still have empathy? I don't think left brain thinkers are totally unemotional or rude, it might just take us longer to feel empathy or understand others. I hate to brag but it seems as though women are more empathic. The male brain is not hard wired to have emotions like the female brain. Ways to practice empathy:
1. Test yourself (measure individual empathy and related qualities)
2. Eavesdrop
3. Empathize on the job
4. Take an acting class
5. Get mind reading
6. Don't outsource your empathy
7. Volunteer

**Many of our emotions don't just fall into place. We need to be constantly working on them to sharpen our skills in certain areas. I think people can either be very left brain or very right brain as other people may be a mixture of both and somewhat balanced. People may sometimes rely on one side more than the other but I think that is logical to think most where our strengths are. This was an interesting section to read and I don't believe I ever would have realized that there are strategies to try to incorporate more symphony and empathy into our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Holly,
    I appreciate your summary of this section on symphony and empathy. It seems to me that the "business" of our jobs as teachers requires us to spend a lot of time in our left brains - making sure deadlines are met, data is recorded, test questions written properly, lesson plans written thoroughly, etc. But the heart of a teacher is very much a part of the right brain. It's what causes the pull we feel sometimes as we see a need we would like to meet but our schedule says otherwise. I'm not sure how we ever get to the point of truly being "balanced" in this crazy world of education, but I am really enjoying the conversation as we try! Thanks for your words!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete